Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Restless night and eventful morning

So, I didn't much sleep at all last night. I was super short of breath, have been for three days now but it was worse overnight. I thought maybe the chest tightness was from pregnancy/baby growing... so at first I chalked it out to be nothing. But once I started loosing sleep regardless of my position I knew something wasn't right. I decided to give a call to my cardiologist, who told me to go to the ER.

When I got to the ER they took my vitals and did an EKG, which showed an abnormal rhythm but not atrial fibrillation (like I expected). They also drew blood for labs, got a chest x-ray and Cat Scan with dye. They covered up the baby with lead for the radiology and the dye doesn't cross the placenta. They wanted to rule out a clot in my lung. Which it turns out I did not have. However my heart rate was sitting in the 40's (my normal is 60 - 70's). I was having a lot of premature ventrical beats... which turns out to have been from a low potassium level. And the shortness of breath turned out to be Pneumonia in my right lower lung.

My cardiologist wants to see me Friday rather than Monday now. He no long thinks I need the aspirin since I am out of atrial fibrilltion. And even thought my heart rate was so low my blood pressure was normal, so he wants me to stay on the beta blocker doses. So I was discharged from the ER with a potassium supplement script and a script for an antibiotic. Thankfully my wife left work to be with me... poor girl I worried her a bit. But it's all okay now. I am glad to have answers.... now if I could only get rest. I am still amazed that none of this has effected Reese... and very thankful for that.

Well, until next time blogland!


  1. Goodness! That sounds scary! I'm glad you and little R are ok though.

  2. What a tough night. I'm glad you were able to get some answers though. Hopefully the meds get you feeling better soon!

  3. Hope you start feeling better and get some sleep soon :)